Today I met a lovely lady out in Garnet Valley in Summerland. This beautiful marble cake is the work of Ursula who moved to Canada from Germany last year. After years of searching for just the right place to live, I think she found a fantastic view, don’t you think?
Ursula has been in touch with the recipe for her marble cake!
Marble Cake, recipe by Dr. Oetker (taken from an old book that Ursula’s mother used to use)
- 250 g butter, 250 g sugar, 10 g vanilla sugar, 4 whole eggs, 2 tablespoon rum, little bit of salt, 500 g flour, 15 g baking powder, 150 – 200 ml milk ; 30 g dark cocoa powder, 25 g sugar, and a few tablespoons of milk
- Stir the butter until it´s creamy, then slowly add sugar, vanilla sugar, eggs, rum, salt.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and add spoonwise alternating with the milk, just add as much milk as neccessary that the batter falls down heavily from your spoon
- Take out 1/2 of the batter and add cocoa, 25 g sugar, stir and add milk until it has the same texture as the other half
- Fill the bright and the dark batter alternating in a buttered baking form and carefully mix it a little bit with a fork to get the marble pattern.
- Bake in the middle of the oven about 75 minutes at 175° Celsius.
- Option: You can also add some cinnamon to the dark cocoa.
Thanks, Ursula! If you’ve got a homemade cake with a view and don’t mind sharing the recipe with other cake lovers, please do!